When I thought I was going to be staying home with my girls, I made this mental list of all of the things I was going to do. Then, when things changed and I had to continue working, I thought I would just have to forget about my little list.
I have decided, however, that there is no reason that I can’t do some of the things I had planned on doing.
One thing I really was excited about was having some fun in the kitchen. I wanted to try new recipes and make some fun things. So, I’m going to start doing that. My family loves sweets, so my first attempt was a sour cream coffee cake that I found here.
- 3/4 cup of sugar and 6 tablespoons of softened butter
- Cream the butter and sugar. Add one egg and 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix dry ingredients together (1 1/2 cup flour, 3/4 teaspoon baking powder, 3/4 teaspoon baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt)
- Measure out 1 cup of sour cream. Alternate mixing in flour mixture and sour cream into the butter mixture until everything is combined.
- Make a brown sugar and cinnamon mixture. Put a layer of the cake dough into a loaf pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar mixture.
- Repeat 3 more times.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes (or so…47 minutes in my oven.)
- Mix pure maple syrup with powdered sugar to make this lovely, sweet icing and drizzle it all over the cake after it cools.
My Ella loved this cake. I served it for breakfast on Sunday morning before church and she had two pieces. She then finished it off this morning.
It is so satisfying to make something that my family enjoys and to know that I don’t have to give up all of my “stay-at-home mommy goals.”
Next up…redecorating the playroom.